Friday, August 24, 2007

Uzziah & Esau. to the cross.

I have been thinking about these two guys in Israels history. Esau gave up his birthright for a single meal. The present moment seemed so important and enticing that he gave up all the future held for him for a bowl of soup...
Uzziah had lived a righteous life. He was a good king for Israel, yet towards the end he became so proud of himself that he assumed the responsibility of the Priests and went himself to sacrifice before God. He was given a skin disease for his foolish pride.
It is so easy to look from the outside of this history and make judgemental calls. I imagine it is much harder to be in the situation. I wonder if Paul was able to identify more with the broken participants of Israels history as much as he was able to identify with the giants of the faith (2 Corinthians 12). I feel the need to constantly remind myself that there are meals out there that will tempt, but the birthright is worth too much, the battles that have been won in my life are not due to my own diligence and fortitude, but they are all the power of the Cross. I am worthless, Christ gives me worth...

No comments: