Tuesday, November 14, 2006

An Evangelical Circus

Today I was thinking on how shallow of a job American Evangelical Churches have done when it comes to taking care of the poor, widows and orphans. I wondered if it has to do with that word "Evangelical", it means to share the good news. It is, the battle cry of our churches, and why not, there is a lost world that is in desperate need of saving. I will fight for that the rest of my life. I just wonder, as I'm sure a million men and women have wondered, is there more? Not more in the way of salvation, I believe that Jesus is the only way to the Father. I mean, is there more we should be focusing on. Can the substance of the message of Christ, be separated from the form in which it was delivered? I suppose it can, but does it loose it's power? Is this why miracles are few and far between in our body of believers, because we don't need them? Who needs a miracle when all you are doing is singing and listening? Miracles are the things of dirty alley's and God-forsaken avenues. Healing is for the broken and sick, not the healthy. I tell you what, I am as desperate in this area as anyone. For me it is simply easier to prepare a sermon than it is to serve at a soup kitchen. I am not saying we should forsake one for the other, I am asking, shouldn't we be doing both? Shouldn't our faith have actions? Some questions do arise though.
Where does the responsibility lie? Is it a corporate responsibility? ie. should I as the minister be planning all kinds of events for people to serve the poor? Sometimes I think this still negates a persons individual responsibility to walk as Christ walked. Yet, I do not think it is totally an individual response to Christ. I do think there is a place for the community of believers to stand together for those who are hurt, oppressed and overlooked. I sure as heck wish I were smarter.
I hope that I can learn to live a life that is more than songs and sermons...

2 comments:

nattyman said...

Amen. True Dat.

Although this is no substitute to getting your own hands dirty it is a good place to start...
http://www.compassion.com/

You can call me Kentolla said...

Jenni and I support a child through compassion. I just wish we could do more than that. Sometimes I feel so tied up by just simply having all of our money going to pay off debt. I can't wait for the day when we are free to use our money to further the kingdom, that is truly being a wise manager...